Physicians’ Elemental Diet Dextrose Free
Physicians’ Elemental Diet Dextrose Free is an elemental powder medical food formulated to provide dietary management for patients who have limited or impaired capacity to digest, absorb, or metabolize ordinary foods or certain nutrients. Physicians’ Elemental Diet Dextrose Free is a strictly hypoallergenic formula with a well-tolerated flavor and is formulated to provide the same dietary management as Physicians’ Elemental Diet original, but without the dextrose as a carbohydrate source.
Elemental Diet for Patients with Moderate to Severe Gastrointestinal/Digestive Impairment
Physicians’ Elemental Diet Dextrose Free is intended for use under medical supervision for the dietary management of patients with GI dysfunction.
The elemental diet is designed for the dietary management of:
- Irritable bowel and Crohn’s disease,1-6
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO),7-9
- Moderate to severe impaired gastrointestinal function.3, 10-12
Physicians’ Elemental Diet Dextrose Free contains a balanced blend of macronutrients fortified with essential vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes to assure comprehensive support as a sole source of nutritional intake for limited periods. It has been:
- Specifically formulated to contain free amino acids, partially hydrolyzed carbohydrate, and medium chain triglycerides to aid in their absorption from the GI lumen.
- Designed to maintain nutritional sustenance as a sole source of nutrition for up to four weeks.
- Produced as a strictly hypoallergenic formula, free from yeast, wheat, gluten, dairy products, fructose, sucrose, lactose, disaccharides, sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
- Formulated with a well-tolerated flavor for improved patient adherence
Dosing by Caloric Need
Physicians’ Elemental Diet Dextrose Free should be used for 2-4 weeks. It was designed to maintain nutritional sustenance as a sole source of nutrition, and can be used as a half-elemental diet making dosing dependent upon the caloric needs of each patient. One scoop of Physicians’ Elemental Diet Dextrose Free = 35 grams, and 150 calories. Each 1,260g bag contains 36 scoops (5,400 calories).
|1 Scoop||35g||150 Calories|
|1260g bag||36 scoops||5400 Calories|
2. O'Morain, C, Segal, AW, Levi, AJ. 1984. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 288:1859-62.
3. Ueno, F, Matsui, T, Matsumoto, T, et al. 2013. J Gastroenterol. 48:31–72.
4. Verma, S, Kirkwood, B, Brown, S, Giaffer, MH 2000. Dig Liver Dis. 32:769-74.
5. Yamamoto, T, et al. 2005. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 11:580-8.
6. Zoli, G, Carè, M, Parazza, M, et al. 1997. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 11:735-40.
7. Van Citters, GW, Lin, HC. 2005. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 7:317- 20.
8. Bures, J, et al. 2010. World J Gastroenterol. 16:2978-90.
9. Pimentel, M, et al. 2004. Dig Dis Sci. 49:73-7.
10. Eiden, KA. 2003. Pract. Gastroenterol. 2003, 33-43, 47-54
11. Fisher, RL 1999. J. Nutr. 129:252S–5S..
12. Devlin, J, David, TJ, Stanton, RH. 1991. Arch Dis Child. 66:93-9
Physicians' Elemental Diet™ Dextrose Free Directions and/or Dosage
Thoroughly mix each heaping scoopful (35 g) in 4-8 oz. (118-236 mL) chilled or room temperature water. Additional water may be added to the mixture or consumed separately as desired. Consume the mixture slowly over a period of 15 to 60 minutes or more, dependent upon individual comfort. Once mixed, any product that is not consumed after 60 minutes should be refrigerated for a maximum of 24 hours, then shaken or stirred prior to consumption. After opening, store remaining powder in a dry place at room temperature.
Physicians' Elemental Diet™ Dextrose Free Ingredients
tapioca maltodextrin, medium chain triglycerides, l-glutamine, l-proline, natural flavor, l-aspartic acid, l-serine, l-arginine hydrochloride, l-alanine, potassium citrate, l-leucine, l-lysine hydrochloride, disodium phosphate, l-valine, l-glycine, l-isoleucine, l-threonine, tricalcium phosphate, l-tyrosine, dimagnesium malate, dicalcium malate, l-phenylalanine, choline bitartrate, l-methionine, l-histidine, l-cysteine hydrochloride, potassium malate, magnesium citrate, l-tryptophan, l-carnitine l-tartrate, sodium ascorbate, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate, iron gluconate, l-taurine, zinc sulfate, calcium d-pantothenate, beta carotene, niacinamide, sodium chloride, sodium selenite, manganese citrate, phytonadione, pyridoxyl-5’-phosphate, cholecalciferol, riboflavin-5’-phosphate, thiamine hydrochloride, copper sulfate, Quatrefolic® ((6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate glucosamine salt), d-biotin, sodium molybdate, potassium iodide, methylcobalamin
Physicians' Elemental Diet™ Dextrose Free Does Not Contain
- artificial coloring
- artificial flavoring
- dairy products
Also contains no dextrose, sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol.
Medical food intended for use under medical supervision.
Not intended for use in children.
Physicians’ Elemental Diet™ Dextrose Free is a 100% free form amino acid-based powdered elemental formula intended for distinctive nutritional requirements. Physicians’ Elemental Diet Dextrose Free requires minimal digestive functionality for assimilation.
Physicians’ Elemental Diet Dextrose Free formula provides 150 calories per serving, distributed as approximately 20% protein, 60% carbohydrate and 20% fat.
Packaged by weight, not volumne. Settling of contents may occur.
Keep out of reach of children.
Quatrefolic® is a registered trademark of Gnosis S.p.A., U.S. Patent No. 7,947,662.